Preserve Stewards Program
Are you looking for a way to serve in outdoor life, learn more about our
McDowell Mountains, learn more about flora and fauna in our Preserve, provide
support for maintenance of preserve trails, and help others share your joy of local
desert and mountains? If so, consider becoming a Fountain Hills Preserve Steward.
If the Agenda of the Preserve Steward training interests you, please come to the first
Training classes are scheduled for Tuesday evenings on September 14th, 21st, and 28th at the
Community Center. These evening classes will be from 7:00 - 8:30 PM, plus “hands on” programs in the
Preserve on Saturday mornings, September 18th & 25th.
Preserve Steward Training Agenda
CLASS 1, Sept. 14, Tuesday, Community Center, 7:00PM
Commitment to serve as a Steward includes:
- Have the desire to work with others in the out of doors.
- Able to work one mid week and one Saturday morning per month.
Requirements to become a Steward:
- Learn facts of history, geology, rocks, desert ecology, and local plants and animals
related to Preserve area.
- Become familiar with all the trails in the preserve.
- Take Fire Dept. class on CPR.
- Review basic First aid rules.
- Enjoy Interaction with the public.
CLASS 2, Sept. 21, Tuesday, Community Center, 7:00 PM
- Speaker, Hike Manager, Carol Ayres. “Know the process of volunteering to support scheduled group
- Speaker, Bill Jaeger, Trailblazer Manager, “Consider principles of trail building and maintenance”.
- Review significant first aid knowledge.
CLASS 3, Sept 25th, Saturday, Meet at end of EAGLE RIDGE Dr., 7:00 AM
- Hands on “hike” and “trail work” for all Stewards (current and new 2010 class).
CLASS 4, Sept. 28th, Tuesday, Community Center, 7:00 PM
- Speaker, Captain Brian Golden, Fountain Hills Fire Dept. “Rescue Team and
- Written test on basic information about Preserve area.
- Review and discussion of test answers.
- Wrap up and graduation.